About LLA

The Lake Linganore Association (LLA) is a homeowners association chartered in 1968 under Maryland law.

The purpose of the LLA is to administer the operation of association business, oversee the maintenance of LLA property, and strive to provide an enjoyable living environment for this private community. Eaglehead is the official name of the community, though it is primarily referred to as Lake Linganore after the the large lake in the center of the community.

The mission of the LLA is to represent and serve the interests of the HOA corporation and its property owners within the PUD. The association is guided by a board of directors, operates under the direction of the legal covenants of the corporate charter, enforces the legal governing documents of the HOA, and is supervised and maintained by association staff. LLA directors and management are representatives on behalf of Lake Linganore to local government and developers/declarants to help ensure the long-term interests of the overall community and to protect the quality of life and the value of the individual properties.

The LLA maintains a public website and Member Portal for residents to access information and monthly updates about community issues are covered within the LLA official notification publication, LakeTalk, which is distributed to all member property owners

Lake Linganore currently consists of 18 villages, governed by the legal documents that created the LLA. The governing documents for the LLA include, but are not limited to:

  • 1968 Charter and Articles of Incorporation
  • LLA Declartation of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions
  • LLA By-Laws
  • LLA Environmental Control Committee (ECC) Guidelines & Due Process Enforcement Procedures
  • LLA Rules & Regulations

Office Hours:

Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm
ph: 301-831-6400
fx: 301-831-3246

History of Eaglehead

Eaglehead was conceived and originally developed by William and Louie Brosius/Linganore Corporation; the brothers designed a master plan for a community centered on recreational lakes and nature trails to provide a unique quality of life to residents in this “new town”. Many designs and engineering aspects of the master plan achieved national recognition and awards in the 1970s. One national publication described the master plan as literally writing the book on environmental responsibility in land development.

Lake Linganore at Eaglehead was the first planned unit development (PUD) created in Frederick County. Although the master plan for the PUD was established in 1968 by an agreement between Linganore Corp. and the Frederick Board of County Commissioners (BoCC), the PUD has never been completed.

The master plan included a town center with commercial and residential property, as well as a total of 15 villages with a variety of home styles and residency options (including tower apartment buildings) that would create an age-diverse community, seven lakes with beaches and dams, parks, playgrounds, trails, pools and tennis courts.

The original developers were forced into bankruptcy due to a banking crisis in the early 1970s. Although Linganore Corp. managed to build one swimming pool facility, a golf course with a clubhouse and a few miles of trails, only four lakes and dams were constructed, no more than 20 finished homes were completed, and most of the roads in the community were not finished. Most Eaglehead roads are privately owned by the Home Owners Association (HOA) known as the Lake Linganore Association (LLA), and have either been constructed by later builders or partially built by the LLA. In 2002, residents created a special taxing district to pave roads in five of the older villages. In two of the villages (Summerfield and West Winds), the roads have been turned over to Frederick County, who is now responsible for maitenance.

Development sat idle for more than 20 years after Linganore Corporation folded. Throughout those years, spot lot builders were permitted to build many individual houses in the PUD, although the responsibility of building the major community infrastructure did not fall to them. Two major developers followed the Brosius brothers, but were unsuccessful in getting the county government to agree to conditions that would allow final build-out of Eaglehead.  In 2009, the Frederick Board of County Commissioners down-zoned the bulk of the developable land to agriculture/resource conservation

Fun Facts

Brosius Dam

Water cascaded over the top of the Brosius Dam on June 3, 1972; that same year, it received two honor awards: one for Environmental Excellence in Architecture & Engineering, and the second for Engineering Excellence from the Consulting Engineers Council, USA.

A 600-foot long rock-and-earth-fill dam impounds a 204-acre body of water known as Lake Linganore, named for the larger of the two creeks that feed the lake. Brosius Rock, the boulder located at the corner entrance of the earthen dam, has a carved inscription that dedicates the dam, the Brosius Dam, to J. William Brosius, the father of Eaglehead’s original developers. Incorporated into the design of the Brosius Dam are 11 fountains along the northern wing of the dam area.

Right in Your Backyard

Lake Linganore is the largest private Lake Community in the State of Maryland. Linganore was coined the ‘new town’ upon its inception. Lake Linganore members enjoy access to four private lakes, two beaches, three pools, eight tennis courts and miles of scenic trails! There are also basketball courts, Tot Lot’s and common areas available. Linganore is home to an array of wildlife including whitetail deer, raccoons, beavers, owls, bald eagles, foxes, coyotes, black bears, whooping cranes and many more!

Native American History

Linganore is also home to the mysterious Indian Caves. It is said that “Linganore” gets its name after an Indian chief that once lived on Linganore Creek. Folklore states that this chief lost a left ear during a battle and German settlers referred to him using the German terms ‘linke’ (left) and ‘ohr’ (ear.) Tradition states that “Chief Linganore” was a member of the Susquehanna Indian tribe and died in 1765.

Indian tribes have lived or hunted in Frederick County for 12,000 years, but in more recent history it is thought that primarily the Susquehanna tribe encamped in and around Linganore Creek. In the early 1700s hunting parties would come down from Pennsylvania to camp near Linganore Creek while they hunted game to feed their tribe.

Early settlers claimed the Susquehanna named this area “Laughing Hills” because Indian children could be heard playing and singing in the creek and among the hills and trees of Linganore. Many Indian artifacts have been found in an around old campsites along the Linganore Creek area. Some discovered relics date back to 4,000 B.C. Gaining access to “Indian Caves” can be achieved from several points within the Meadows Village. A set of stairs off of Glen Lane provides one main access point.

Early Settlers

Did you know the bridge that crossed Linganore Creek used to be covered? There are only three surviving covered bridges in Frederick County today. According to Harry Richardson, a well-known artist and Linganore neighbor on Quiet Cove Road, bridges used to be covered in the mid-1800s to protect the wood planks from the weather. Today we cross a lake, but in the 1860s, Linganore was only a creek where many millers built gristmills (mills for processing grains into flour) and sawmills along the creek.

Boyer’s Mill Road gets its name from the family of Adam Boyer. Adam Boyer is a descendant of Casper Boyer, an immigrant from Württemberg, Germany. Casper came to the United States in 1771 on a ship called “Tyger” to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Casper served in the Revolutionary War. Many Boyer descendants have a history of military service in the United States, some having served during the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Adam Boyer is also one of the founding members of Fairview Chapel and his grave is located in the historic Fairview Chapel cemetery.

He, along with his son Peter, ran a sawmill and gristmill at the edge of Linganore Creek from about 1836-1880. A fire destroyed the Boyer Mill, but stones from the old mill were used to help build the original bridge platform we to cross Lake Linganore.

Eaglehead Lakes & Beaches

 

Lake Linganore is the largest of the four community lakes (seven were originally envisioned) and it has 13 ½ miles of shoreline. Two beaches can be found along the lake in the villages of Nightingale and Coldstream. Lake Merle is the second largest and also has a small beach area on its eastern end. The remaining two lakes are Lake Anita Louise in the village of Pinehurst, and Lake Marion, the smallest of the four is located near the entrance to Woodridge.

 

The Esplanade

This half-mile long concrete structure is suspended 12-feet above the water along the steep northern shoreline of Lake Linganore. It was originally built as a part of the Eaglehead sewer system, though it no longer is, and was designed to minimize environmental impact and preserve the trees and the sloping northern shoreline of Lake Linganore. The design incorporated a walkway on top of the structure which made it a unique part of the community’s trail system. Four other shorter esplanade sections were built along the lake where sewer lines needed to be installed but creeks and other aspects of the natural setting needed to be preserved.

Ben’s Branch Bridge

The 70-foot long bridge, a part of Eaglehead’s trail system that connects the villages of Pinehurst and West Winds, was given to the LLA by Frederick County. The steel structure was originally installed in the early 1900s in the western section of Frederick County on Harmony Road. When the bridge was condemned to vehicular traffic, Frederick County salvaged it as a part of its historic bridge program. The structure was restored and reconstructed by LLA maintenance staff from 2003 to 2004.