At a Glance

Fun Facts

Right in Your Backyard

Lake Linganore is the largest private Lake Community in the State of Maryland. Established in 1968, Linganore was coined the ‘new town’ upon its inception. Lake Linganore members enjoy access to 4 private lakes, 2 beaches, 3 pools, 8 tennis courts and 30 miles of scenic trails! There are also 4 basketball courts, 12 Tot Lot’s and 3 rec fields available for sports activities. Linganore is home to an array of wildlife including: whitetail deer, raccoons, beavers, owls, bald eagles, foxes, coyotes, black bears, whooping cranes and many more!

Native American History

Linganore is home to the mysterious Indian Caves. It is said that “Linganore” gets its name after an Indian chief that once lived on Linganore Creek. Folklore states that this chief lost a left ear during a battle and German settlers referred to him using the German terms ‘linke’ (left) and ‘ohr’ (ear.) Tradition states that “Chief Linganore” was a member of the Susquehanna Indian tribe and died in 1765.

Indian tribes have lived or hunted in Frederick County for 12,000 years, but in more recent history it is thought that primarily the Susquehanna tribe encamped in and around Linganore Creek. In the early 1700s hunting parties would come down from Pennsylvania to camp near Linganore Creek while they hunted game to feed their tribe.

Early settlers claimed the Susquehanna named this area “Laughing Hills” because Indian children could be heard playing and singing in the creek and among the hills and trees of Linganore. Many Indian artifacts have been found in an around old camp sites along the Linganore Creek area. Some discovered relics date back to 4,000 B.C. Gaining access to “Indian Caves” can be achieved from several points within the Meadows Village. A set of stairs off of Glen Lane provides one main access point.

Early Settlers

Did you know the bridge that crossed Linganore Creek used to be covered? There are only 3 surviving covered bridges in Frederick County today. According to Harry Richardson, a well-known artist and Linganore neighbor on Quiet Cove Road, bridges used to be covered in the mid-1800s to protect the wood planks from the weather. Today we cross a lake, but in the 1860s, Linganore was only a creek where many millers built gristmills (mills for processing grains into flour) and sawmills along the creek.

Boyer’s Mill Road gets its name from the family of Adam Boyer. He, along with his son Peter, ran a sawmill and gristmill at the edge of Linganore Creek from about 1836-1880. A fire destroyed the Boyer Mill, but stones from the old mill were used to help build the original bridge platform we to cross Lake Linganore.

Adam Boyer is a descendant of Casper Boyer, an immigrant from Württemberg, Germany. Casper came to the United States in 1771 on a ship called “Tyger” to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Casper served in the Revolutionary War. Many Boyer descendants have a history of military service in the United States, some having served during the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Adam Boyer is also one of the founding members of Fairview Chapel and his grave is located in the historic Fairview Chapel cemetery.

Brosius Dam & Brosius Rock

Water cascaded over the top of the Brosius Dam on June 3, 1972, the same year it received two honor awards, one for Environmental Excellence in Architecture & Engineering, and the second for Engineering Excellence from the Consulting Engineers Council, USA.

A 600-foot long rock-and-earth-fill dam impounds a 209-acre body of water known as Lake Linganore, named for the larger of the two creeks that feed the lake. Brosius Rock, the boulder located at the corner entrance of the earthen dam, has a carved inscription that dedicates the dam—the Brosius Dam— to J. William Brosius, the father of Eaglehead’s original developers. Incorporated into the design of the Brosius Dam are 11 fountains along the northern wing of the dam area.

Eaglehead Lakes & Beaches

Lake Linganore is the largest of the four community lakes (seven were originally envisioned) and it has 13 ½ miles of shoreline. Beaches along the lake are provided in the villages of Nightingale and Coldstream. Boat racks can be leased annually at Coldstream Beach, Nightingale Beach and near the village of Aspen. Lake Merle is the second largest of the four community lakes and also has a small beach area on its eastern end. The remaining two lakes are Lake Anita Louise, located in the village of Pinehurst, and Lake Marion, the smallest of the four lakes, is located near the entrance to Woodridge. A Maryland fishing license is required for anyone fishing in Eaglehead lakes along with your Lake Linganore Association ID card.

The Esplanade

This half-mile long concrete structure is suspended 12-feet above the water along the steep northern shoreline of Lake Linganore. It was originally built as a part of the Eaglehead sewer system, though it no longer is, and was designed to minimize environmental impact and preserve the trees and the sloping northern shoreline of Lake Linganore. The design incorporated a walkway on top of the structure, which made it a unique part of the community’s trail system. Four other shorter esplanade sections were built along the lake where sewer lines needed to be installed but creeks and other aspects of the natural setting needed to be preserved.

Association Fountain & Garden

Located next to the Lake Linganore Association office building, these gardens were planted by residents with grants provided by the MaryLandscapes 2000 program. The gardens were developed to showcase various native plants and to promote native plant landscaping as a means of saving water and preserving the area’s natural plants. The three types of gardens featured are: the Water Conservation Garden, the Suburban Garden, and the Natural Garden.

Ben’s Branch Bridge

The 70-foot long bridge, a part of Eaglehead’s trail system that connects the villages of Pinehurst and West Winds, was given to the LLA by Frederick County. The steel structure was originally installed in the early 1900s in the western section of Frederick County on Harmony Road. When the bridge was condemned to vehicular traffic, Frederick County salvaged it as a part of its historic bridge program. The structure was restored and reconstructed by LLA maintenance staff from 2003 to 2004.

Leave a Comment

Yay! You've decided to leave a comment. That's fantastic! Please keep in mind that comments are moderated so, please do not use a spammy keyword or a domain as your name, or it will be deleted. Let's have a personal and meaningful conversation instead. Thanks for dropping by!

You must be logged in to post a comment.